The world is pretty strange right now. Here at Armor of God, we’re choosing to see the good in all of it—how people are being God’s hands and feet in the world even in their fear, how we are loving our neighbors and reaching out in new ways to be God’s church.
Nowhere is the good as evident as in the realization many seem to be having: God is in control.
We know this intellectually, of course. We know God created the earth, as well as the universe. We know God is beyond time and beyond our limited imagining.
But sometimes, we seem to forget this. We make plans or try to control things as though we are the ones with power, then are struck with surprise, frustration, or utter incomprehension when we realize (yet again!) there are things beyond our control. We throw up our hands or rail and rage, stomp about like petulant children who aren’t getting their way.
We forget: It’s about God’s way, not ours.
It is in these moments when we need to cling to Scripture and the promises God makes throughout.
Here, we offer some of our favorite verses to remind us God is supreme, and that this ironclad truth is a comfort and a gift:
- “In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.” Genesis 1:1 (ESV)
- “Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the Lord that will stand.” Proverbs 19:21
- “In his hand is the life of every living thing and the breath of all mankind.” Job 12:10
- “That people may know, from the rising of the sun and from the west, that there is none besides me; I am the Lord, and there is no other. I form light and create darkness, I make well-being and create calamity, I am the Lord, who does all these things.” Isaiah 45:6-7
- “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.” Jeremiah 29:11
- “He changes times and seasons; he removes kings and sets up kings; he gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to those who have understanding.” Daniel 2:21
- “Who has spoken and it came to pass, unless the Lord has commanded it?” Lamentations 3:37
- “The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?” Psalm 27:1
- “But Jesus looked at them and said, ‘With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.’” Matthew 19:26
- “Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God.” Romans 13:1
- “‘I am the Alpha and the Omega,’ says the Lord God, ‘who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.’” Revelation 1:8
- “When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. But he laid his right hand on me, saying, ‘Fear not, I am the first and the last.’” Revelation 1:17
God bless you, friends, and have peace—God is in command, and His way will prevail.