Sometimes, life is great. Other seasons are a struggle.
Perhaps the struggle is because of something you did—a wrong choice, a mistake, a sin. Other times, trouble has simply come your way: illness, unexpected job loss, a natural disaster, a painful breakup, or the death of a loved one. Or maybe you’re in an unexplainable slump.
Whatever the reason, it feels like you’ve fallen out of step somewhere along the way and fear you can’t find your way back.
Take heart: The Bible offers comfort when our path isn’t clear. Here are six Bible verses to meditate on when life has suddenly veered off-course:
1. “Focus your eyes straight ahead; keep your gaze on what is in front of you. Watch your feet on the way, and all your paths will be secure. Don’t deviate a bit to the right or the left; turn your feet away from evil.” Proverbs 4:25-27 (CEB)
When we feel life has gone astray, it can be tempting to throw our hands in the air and just let things go. But this verse reminds us to stay focused on God and seek the right path. Let the chaos fall away and just keep our minds set on what is ahead of us, not what is on the periphery. Things will fall back in place soon.
2. “Jesus answered, ‘I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.’” John 14:6 (CEB)
Notice Jesus didn’t say I am “a” way—He said I am “the” way. Jesus is the only way to God. Sometimes, we veer off-course when our hearts and minds gravitate toward other interests, other false gods, but when we cling to Jesus—especially in times of struggle—we’ll find ourselves on the right path.
3. “You must walk the precise path that the Lord your God indicates for you so that you will live, and so that things will go well for you, and so you will extend your time on the land that you will possess.” Deuteronomy 5:33 (CEB)
God isn’t some mean tyrant with a whip forces us to do His will just because. He offers us our path as a blessing. He has a divine plan, and He wants us to stick to it so, as the Scripture says, “things will go well for you.” Even when we think we see a better way or are tempted toward a more pleasure-filled, selfish path, walk the path we know God has laid out for us. Stay in line with what is right and follow it.
4. “Know Him in all your paths, and He will keep your ways straight.” Proverbs 3:6 (CEB)
As with any relationship, we know God better through time spent with Him, whether that is prayer, worship, or reading His holy word, the Bible. Stay close to Him, and you are more likely to stay on-course.
5. “The Lord proclaims: Stop at the crossroads and look around; ask for the ancient paths. Where is the good way? Then walk in it and find a resting place for yourselves.” Jeremiah 6:16 (CEB)
Society—especially ads—wants us to believe happiness and peace lie in the right job, the ultimate drink, the best food, the dream vacation. But that’s a lie. True peace comes through the Lord. When you feel life has veered sideways, stop. Look back at what you know is the truth. Read the Bible and talk with wise loved ones. Once you find the path again, get back on it and stay there.
6. “I will make the blind walk a road they don’t know, and I will guide them in paths they don’t know. But I will make darkness before them into light and rough places into level ground. These things I will do; I won’t abandon them.” Isaiah 42:16 (CEB)
When we can’t find the path no matter how hard we try, remember to look up. God will guide us. He will smooth the rocky terrain and nudge our feet in the right direction. Just ask for God’s help.
Are there any other verses that bring you comfort when the path isn’t clear? Share in the comments below!