It’s almost Independence Day, one of our favorite days of the year! Warm weather, family time, barbecues, and some sort of fun gathering are part of our normal July 4 family traditions. And even though coronavirus is restricting the “gathering” aspect a bit, we’re still excited about a day to reflect on our wonderful nation.
Only heaven is perfect—we know America is not! But we are grateful to live in a nation where we have constitutional rights ensuring we have freedom of religion, freedom of speech, freedom of the press, and so much more.
Of course, all of this pale in comparison to the extraordinary freedoms we receive as believers in Christ Jesus. Jesus came to this world so that we would have abundant, eternal life if only we believe in Him and walk in His way. That’s it! There’s nothing we can do to earn this precious, better-than-the-lottery-jackpot gift. All the wrongs we’ve ever done are all washed away when we decide to follow Him.
Freedom is truly freedom when we become one of Christ’s own.
As we celebrate American freedom, we at Armor of God Coffee offer seven of our favorite Scripture verses about the (even better!) freedom we have in Christ:
- “Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.” 2 Corinthians 3:17 ESV
- “So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.” John 8:36 ESV
- “There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death.” Romans 8:1-2 ESV
- “For the law of the Spirit of life has set you free in Christ Jesus from the law of sin and death.” Romans 8:2 ESV
- “Out of my distress I called on the Lord; the Lord answered me and set me free.” Psalm 118:5 ESV
- “The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim liberty to the captives and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty those who are oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor.” Luke 4:18-19 ESV
- “Live as people who are free, not using your freedom as a cover-up for evil, but living as servants of God.” 1 Peter 2:16 ESV
What's YOUR favorite part about the freedom you have in Christ? What things are you free from?